Guidance For Better Health
Health coaching can make a difference in your employees’ health—and your bottom line. Whether your employees desire a more personal approach or prefer interactive, online coaching, MedCost Benefit Services has an option to suit your needs.
Health Coaching With A Personal Nurse Health Coach
MedCost nurse health coaching program, Personal Care Management (PCM), is an innovative way to manage members’ health. While health care in general has always been reactive—providing care after illness occurs — PCM is a uniquely proactive approach to identifying individuals who may show early symptoms of or be at medium to high risk for developing serious and costly health issues. It offers an alternative to diagnosis-based disease management programs but is concerned with many of the same medical conditions. Participants receive personal encouragement and health education from a nurse to manage their conditions and stay as healthy as possible. To hear more about the PCM program from actual participants, click here
for a short video.
Watch the PCM Program Video
A member may be selected for PCM based on a variety of sources, such as claims and pharmacy data, referrals, health risk assessment (HRA) results, emergency room visits, and hospital admissions. An experienced nurse reviews this health information and determines if the member could benefit from the program. If so, eligible members are contacted by introductory letter and by phone or e-mail. If a member chooses to enroll in the program, the nurse serves as a personal health coach. Through regularly scheduled, confidential phone calls, participants work one-on-one with their nurse to set specific, personalized goals for improving their health.
The goal of MedCost’s PCM program is to improve overall health and avoid serious medical issues, which can be costly to members and their health plans. With this in mind, PCM has expanded to include:
- Transitional care counseling and education for complicated hospital stays and certain conditions with a high likelihood for hospital readmission: COPD, asthma, diabetes, heart attack and/or irregular heartbeat, and high blood pressure.
- Outreach to members who frequent the Emergency Department for non-emergency care to provide education on the importance of establishing a relationship with a primary care physician (PCP) and assist with selection of an in-network PCP if they do not have one.
- Outreach to a member’s physician to identify any potential gaps in preventive care, notify physician if member was identified for inclusion in PCM but did not respond, and provide education on PCM so the physician can encourage participation in the program.
Online Tools And Health Information Empower Members
Some of your employees may prefer to explore health and wellness options on their own. As part of MedCost Benefit Services’ comprehensive Personal Health Suite
, they have access to the Participant Health Portal, an efficient, one-stop location for services and resources to help them stay as healthy as possible.
The Participant Health Portal includes:
- Healthy Living Programs – 13 self-paced, action-oriented behavior change programs to guide members toward improved lifestyle choices, including Weight Loss, Get in Shape, Healthier Diet, Smoke Free, Stress Relief, Diabetes Fighting, and Cancer Fighting
- Interactive Tools and Media – interactive presentations on a variety of topics, including low back pain, sleeping well, and asthma and controller medications; online seminars; trackers; quizzes and assessments; calculators; and health games
- Food and Nutrition Center – diet reviews, healthy menus, video tips
- Fitness and Meal Planners – personalized to each individual’s profile
This highly customized user experience empowers your employees with information and tools to lead healthy lives.
Personal Health Suite